Alaska passed a ballot measure legalizing marijuana for recreational use in November 2014. ln February 2016, the state finalized its marijuana regulations. Among the notable provisions within the regulation to protect children:
- Marijuana dispensaries may not be opened not be within 500 feet of a school, recreational facility, or a building where religious services are held.
- Sales of marijuana products to minors younger than 21 are prohibited. Minors cannot enter stores where marijuana is sold.
- Marijuana must be sold in opaque, child-resistant packaging, which has been designed so that a 5-year-old cannot open the package.
- Marijuana must be sold in packages that specifies the THC content of the marijuana and includes a wqrning label about the health risks of marijuana.
- Marijuana pacliaging and advertisements cannot depict those younger than 21 consuming marijuana or use characters to appeal to those younger than 21.
- Marijuana advertisements may not be placed within 1000 feet of a school, child care facility, playground, recreational facility, college campus, library, or bus shelters.
- All marijuana packaging and advertising must include the warning “For use only by adults twenty-one and older. Keep out of the reach of children.”
- Marijuana edibles cannot contain more than 5 mg of THC and packaging cannot contain any images that appeal to children younger than 21.